Reminisce
Rapper, Remilekun Khalid Shafaru, popularly called Reminisce is currently making waves with the release of his sophomore album in November 2013. Reminisce began his music career in 2006 but took a break to complete his tertiary education at the Kwara State Polytechnic. In 2008, he made a return to the industry when he featured on 9ice’s album.
He rose to stardom with the release of his smash hit single “Kako Bi Chicken” and subsequently dropped his debut album “Book of Rap Stories” in 2012. His sophomore album “Alaga Ibile” was released in November 2013. He talks about his career and plans for 2015

I’m still milking my sophomore album….
I’m milking my sophomore album titled ‘Alaga Ibile’. The album was released in November 2013 and its arguably one of the biggest projects released last year even though certain people in the industry thought I shouldn’t have put out the album at that point in time, because there were certain people whose albums were going to outsell mine. But as it is now, the album is out now. It’s everywhere; people have accepted it. So, 2014 is basically a year where I want to take advantage of what I have on ground to make myself a better person; a better brand and most importantly make lots of money by God’s grace.
Many have been asking for the meaning of ‘Alaga Ibile’. It depends on what context you are looking at it from. It could mean ‘Local Chairman’. It could also mean ‘King of the street’. There’s no real direct translation for it. But literarily in Yoruba, it means Local Government Chairman and some people have said the album and it’s title portray me as a local rapper and I’m always quick to agree with them, because the street is what I represent.

About my brand…
My brand is quite simple. I often describe myself as a Yoruba man that can rap in English, Yoruba, do reggae and everything. I am not trying to be like anybody. I am not trying to be the best rapper or singer. I am just trying to be an entertainer.
If I wasn’t in the music industry…
If I wasn’t in the music industry, I would definitely be doing business, because I like money (smiles) and I love buying and selling stuffs. As a matter of fact, I once had a mobile boutique where I used to sell stuffs back then.
It felt like I wouldn’t blow…
I remember back then when we all started music. We all used to be at ID Cabasa’s studio with 9ice, jahbless and others. We all used to do stuffs together and make music together, but at some point I had to leave to go back to school. Before I came back, 9ice had become a super star, not long after Jahbless became a star too. So, I was the only one left and it was looking like Reminisce would end up as one of those guys that could sing but wouldn’t blow. That period was quite challenging and depressing, but I kept working hard and when my song “Kako Bi Chicken” became a hit, I vowed to even work harder because I didn’t want to be ‘a one hit wonder’ kind of guy. And today, I am grateful to God for where I am.
I’ll be dropping a new video every month in 2014…
Yes, I said it before that I would be dropping a new video every month and I think so far, we’ve been living up to that word. It’s something I decided to do because the album is big. People want to see videos in January we dropped a video for ‘Daddy’, and other videos have followed as promised. So, this year, I’m dropping a total of 12 videos. So, help me God.
My position in the industry…
Well, it’s relative, depending on which angle you are viewing it from. But for me, right now, I still have a long way to go. This is just the beginning. I have a lot of work to do. Several songs have been recorded already. We are working with other artistes on different projects. We are planning tours, and concerts. Just as I said earlier, I’m still in the process of milking my album. That means that I am exploring it and reaping from all possible benefits. I have a lot offers and we are carefully making tactical decisions. So, there’s still a long way to go.
I’m not married but…..
I am not married, but I have a daughter and I have a baby mama. And it really doesn’t affect my career, because life is what you make of it. After Reminisce, there would always be a Remi. Like on my way here now, I stopped by at my kid’s school to complain about stuffs I don’t like.
So, that’s what certain people fail to realise and that’s why they get in trouble. I can’t be a celebrity to my daughter. Of course, I will definitely love to marry my baby mama When the time is right and I guess, the right time means when I can give her more devotion and attention than I am currently giving at the moment.

Post a Comment

 
Top